Bioventic - Clean air
In average root zone treatment gives a better health and comfort by reducing bad symptoms at workplace with more than 50%. Feelings of are dryness complications are reduced.
Result may be combination of psychological and physical items.
- NASA developed air treatment
- Transfer contaminated air to clean air
- Reduce dust
- Reduce germs and bacteria
- Reduce smell – tested for smell chemicals
- Tested for treating 500 chemicals
- Cooling air
- Stabilize indoor climate
- Raise comfort and health with 50%
- No noise
- Standard pot or Tayler made
Indoor environment and health
In 1989 after nearly 20 years research NASA published that the superior air purification was carried out by a system consisting of plants and soil.
The root zone system BioVentic is an air treatment system based on light soil filter with vegetation / root zone.
Contaminated air is pressed through the filter by ventilator. Energy consumption is 38watt/h.
Installation has been set up in Denmark, Sweden, Holland and USA.
While NASA has been working with tests under strictly controlled conditions, Transform´s study was on practical plants in operation. The study showed that especially soil covered with limestone has the largest cleaning efficiency and does not give unintended side effects. Based on the tests carried out, root zone installations seem to be effective and they can certainly strengthen the indoor climate to a great extent.
Measurements on Transform´s installations have shown the following results:
- Health and comfort condition based on Questionnaires from Glostrup Hospital showed that health and comfort problems are in average reduced with 50%.
- Temperature is reduced due to high evaporation from the soil media and the plants. The temperature reduction is approximately 3 oC diversified from 2 – 5 oC. The cooling reduces the relative humidity and evaporation helps raising the relative humidity.
- PM10 was significant reduced 2-29% in Post-Denmark office and 15% in Transform office comparing with and without air treatment.
- At Bank office “Fælleskassen” it was observed that the installation could clean for PM10 relative to the external reference approx. 75%, and relative to the internal reference at “Fælleskassen” 50%.
- Chemical reductions tested in climate chambers (Aarhus University) with efficiency 90 % when comparing with and without air treatment.
- 22 smell based chemicals are tested between intake and outlet with efficiency 80-99% for the chosen chemicals and 25-71% for ammonia.
- Bacteria were reduced with 81-95% when comparing values between intake and discharge in the root zone.
- Micro fungi in the air were reduced by 89 % when the soil was covered with limestone. However, the same test, without limestone, increased the emission of micro fungi a factor 3.
- Efficiency based on number of fungal spores/m3 air showed an 81 % reduction after passing through root zone covered with limestone. However, yeast cells from plants can be given free and raise concentration nearby the vegetation.